[extropy-chat] can't second guess history

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 02:46:08 UTC 2005

McCarthy advanced the cause of anti-communism because both the
Democrats, who were hip deep in communists, and the Republican party
apparatchicks, didn't want to deal with the problem.

The people in the media latched onto McCarthy and staged a lot of
histrionic BS specifically because they were comrades of those on the
suspect lists. For example, the fellow who cried on TV asking McCarthy
if he had any shame was a communist, and his performance was
specifically staged for propaganda purposes. The incident he was
claiming to be so upset about was that another witness had committed
suicide by shooting himself twice and throwing himself from a balcony,
if that can be believed. The witness was volunteering to testify
against communists. He was not reluctant, had not been compelled. The
communists used the media, though, to claim that McCarthy had driven
him to his death.

This is all very well documented today. The only people who still
dispute it, really, are the willfully ignorant liberals and the fellow
travellers.

--- Ned Late <nedlt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It doesn't appear McCarthy harmed the cause of anti-communism much if
> at all. Besides, again, there is no point in second-guessing history
> except as a what-if game.
> To get back to my original point, what was negative about '50s was
> the black poverty rate being at 50%. Allen Dulles mentioned to Truman
> or Eisenhower that something had to be done concerning black poverty
> so that the Soviets, and Communists in general, couldn't use it
> against us both domestically and internationally.
>
> >Stephen Van_Sickle <sjvans at ameritech.net> wrote:
> >McCarthy could not have hurt the cause of
> >anti-communism more if he tried. I have sometimes
> >wondered if *he* was the mole in the government, but
> >people have been looking through the old Soviet
> >archives long enough now that it would have turned up
> >if he was.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)