[extropy-chat] TR: sense of fear

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 06:09:16 UTC 2005

My comment to the TR forum:
Greg wrote: "What disturbs me is the sense of fear that I derived from
Dr. Nuland's article, as well as your editorial. Fear that more people
will take de Grey seriously and force people like you and Dr. Nuland
to question your core beliefs."
Exactly. I had the same impression reading Francis Fukuyama's article
"The World's Most Dangerous Ideas - Transhumanism" on Foreign Policy
(September - October 2004), beginning with:
"For the last several decades, a strange liberation movement has grown
within the developed world. Its crusaders aim much higher than civil
rights campaigners, feminists, or gayrights advocates. They want
nothing less than to liberate the human race from its biological
constraints. As "transhumanists" see it, humans must wrest their
biological destiny from evolution's blind process of random variation
and adaptation and move to the next stage as a species."
Fukuyama raises several objections to our inevitable "moving on to the
next stage", all thoughtful and well articulated. But to me, they
sound like the objections of a child who does not want to grow into a
teen, or a teen who is afraid of growing into an adult.
http://www.technologyreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forumid=1002