[extropy-chat] Who is really the dominant gender?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 22:28:39 UTC 2005

--- Ned Late <nedlt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes, feminists. Most feminists are quite reasonable, considering how
> men dominate and abuse women. However, "feminazis" (for lack of a
> better term) do exist, albeit their numbers are small.
>
> Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:Of course there is another
> possibility that I feel confident you are
> bright enough to think of.

Lets examine the assumptions made in this statement. The assumptions
are that men dominate and abuse women, and that the number of feminazis
to feminists is small. However, lets look at the following:

Biologists studying animal species are able to determine gender
dominance by several characteristics:

a) significant size disparity.
b) significant intelligence disparity.
c) disproportionate burden of labor.
d) statistically significant differences in life span, incidence of
disease, injury, etc. longer lived gender is the domiant gender.
e) sigificant differences in distinguishing coloration. flamboyant
coloration is always the dominant gender.
f) disporportionate incidence of violence by one gender against the
other.

So, lets see how species homo sapiens fares in this list:

a) While men have a slight size dominance over women, average size
difference does not exceed 5-6% in humans, and the disparity has
changed significantly over the ages toward parity.
b) as noted previously, average IQ betwee men and women is the same,
although standard deviation for men is significantly higher.
c) Men are penalized by the legal system, are rarely, if ever, given
preference in child custody, and are given the burden of proof in
disputes over conduct in marriage and child raising. Men are served
with restraining orders, eviction orders, and other punishing orders
based merely on the say-so of their spouse, but men must provide
evidentiary support to obtain similar orders against their spouses.
More than ten times as many men are incarcerated than women, despite
women committing more than 10% of crime, while boys are persecuted in
the school system for behaving like boys and not girls. Men are
expected to pay child support in an overwhelming number of cases, are
declared the father based merely on the say-so of the mother even in
spite of DNA evidence to the contrary, and women rarely pay child
support when the situation is reversed. A woman can kidnap a fetus to
another state, declare the name of the father, get child support orders
against him, and he is never allowed any visitation rights. A father
who does the same thing is automatically a criminal.
d) In every society on earth, men live significantly shorter lives than
women, despite women having to deal with significant medical traumas
such as childbirth.
e) female humans wear the dominant coloration, with flamboyant
clothing, jewelry, and makeup while men are encouraged to wear neutral
colors so as to not distract attention from their female companion.
f) in studies on domestic violence, not only do they find that nearly
twice as many women as men believe it is okay to commit violence
against their mate, a similar proportion actually do commit violence
against their mate. Men are discouraged by society, by the legal
systems, from complaining about or prosecuting such abuse.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)