[extropy-chat] Support your local transhumanist artist, part II

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jan 26 04:01:01 UTC 2005

I also shamelessly present the following, again from ASIMOV'S SF magazine,
March 2005, just out.

Anyone who wishes to consider buying a trade paperback of my detailed
discussion of sf, what it is and how it works, can find a link at

http://www.wildsidepress.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WP1&Product_Code=080950927X&Category_Code=

The paper book is nice, with an incredible cover by our >H pal Anders Sandberg.

Damien Broderick
=============

again from Paul Di Filippo's column `On Books':

Also on the critical front, we find Damien Broderick's x, y, z, t:
Dimensions of Science Fiction (Borgo/Wildside, trade paper, $17.95, 264
pages, ISBN 0-8095-0927-X), a collection of essays that had former lives in
various publications, now retrofitted into a brilliantly coherent whole.
Much like Damon Knight's In Search of Wonder (1956), this volume uses
whatever newish books come to hand, salted with copious thoughts on the
classics of the genre, as the jumping-off point for scintillating
theoretical discussions of SF's uses, failings, directions and
destinations. An extremely talented fiction writer as well as critic,
Broderick brings an intimate understanding of how SF is composed, marketed
and perceived to the table. Like Knight, he can be fascinating whether
discussing flawed one-shot wonders (David Palmer's Emergence [1984]) or
masterpieces from Bester, Pohl, Asimov and others. And his prose is zesty
and inviting, full of witty metaphors. Nothing academic or stodgy here. Is
science fiction really "the crazed biker of literature, sloppy-grinned,
barreling back down the wrong side of the road into the shrieking traffic"?
Read Broderick, and find out!