[extropy-chat]{CONC] Support your local transhumanist artist I

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 26 22:36:08 UTC 2005

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Actually, I'd like to see a story that did the
> reverse: allowed a
> person to travel forward in time, but only within
> their future real
> natural life span, such that they can jump to
> halfway to their natural
> death, then half again, etc. The story would follow
> this several jumps,
> with views of society that demonstrate the power of
> exponential change
> in technology, until the jumps start getting longer,
> which is explained
> by the fact that events that occur in the time
> stream between jumps
> (i.e. invention of longevity technologies) lengthen
> ones natural life
> span....

That was my first thought on reading that, too.  Or
of the jumps getting shorter and shorter until one
winds up just before one left - and one realizes that
uploading has begun (said uploading being what the
final jump was going to skip, from the jumper's
impatience to see what comes afterwards), which counts
as "death" for the time machine even if one's identity
will still be very much alive afterwards.