[extropy-chat] so is America fascist yet?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jan 30 20:42:43 UTC 2005

On Jan 30, 2005, at 4:23 AM, Erik Starck wrote:

> At 10:40 2005-01-30 Samantha Atkins wrote:
>> It sure as hell isn't preemptive war.    Do you believe the US and
>> thus the citizens of the US, their fortunes, lives and those of their
>> children are owed to the suffering of every people on earth?
>
> Of course not. This is a global issue and should be handled globally.
> Unfortunatley, it's not, or at least not global enough.
>
>> Do you further believe that the "cure" takes the form of preemptive
>> strikes?
>
> Calling the attack on Iraq "preemptive" wasn't the best of
> justifications for attacking from the coalition. It should really be
> enough to say that Saddam Hussein was a criminal with too much power,
> a massmurderer who prevented the country from developing and caused
> it's people to starve.

Ah.  The sanctions and destroyed infrastructure and continued bombing
had nothing to do with it I suppose.  A properly virtuous leader like
that Bush fellow would have triumphed and Iraq would have been a land
of milk and honey.

It also seems awfully strange and quite sad that in this supposedly
more blessed land that we are saddled with such debt as to be a major
danger to the world.   We fight wars of words to keep our religious
fanatics from
seizing power.   We imprison more of our citizens than any country on
earth.   Yet we believe all will be well if we export our ways to all
the earth even if we do so by force of arms.

-samantha