[extropy-chat] so is America fascist yet?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jan 30 21:05:59 UTC 2005

> I believe that freedom, trade and the free spreading of ideas between
> free minds are the best steps possible towards a transhuman future.
>
> My question remains: what do you suggest should be done to prevent the
> genocide in Sudan or the famine in North Korea?
>
> Remember, people are dying there NOW. Not doing anything or not acting
> fast enough is the same thing as letting these people die.

in answer to your question,  i don't believe there is a lot that can be
done immediately that would be of more help than harm in many
situations where people are dying right now.   Our experience in iraq
and in other countries where we have forced a regime change by less
obvious means does not suggest this is a particularly effective means.
  i think that the only generally effective means is to create true
abundance and the ability and willingness to both enjoy it ourselves
and allow others, even those we despise, to do likewise.
Globalization that is more about hegemony than abundance just isn't
good enough.   Opening more and more markets to a fundamentally
unbalanced economics in hope of staving of collapse isn't good enough.
Somehow we must find and strike at the root.  Running about attempting
to bully the world under protestations of caring will not do.

- samantha