[extropy-chat] Re: The Force of Human Freedom

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Mon Jan 31 01:55:01 UTC 2005

From: "Greg Burch" <gregburch at gregburch.net>

> Yes, it's pretty bad when reliably anti-American PBS does a report like
> this.  What if it's true?  > A kind-hearted person of good will, circa
> 1933: "Won't those people just shut up with their negativity about Hitler

Truth be told,  Americans were generally negative about *Jews*.  Taken from
this perspective, negativity about Hitler didn't sound so bad to many
Americans.  That's the sad part of this story, as well as events such as:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~froomkin/texts/m3.html

> ... and Hirohito?  How can they sleep at night or get out of bed in the
> morning with all that fear-mongering?!?!"

As for WWII and Pearl Harbor, I am no expert, but I've read enough to know
that "the facts" as were presented to us at school in the 1950s and 1960s
left out controversies that are still igniting:

http://www.visualstatistics.net/web%20Visual%20Statistics%20Illustrated/Visual%20Statistics%20Illustrated/emperor%20hirohito.htm

"Had FDR met Prince Konoye, there might have been no Pearl Harbor, no
Pacific war, no Hiroshima, no Nagasaki, no Korea, no Vietnam. How many of
our fathers and uncles, brothers and friends, might still be alive?"

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25637

It happened before I was born, but my father's youngest brother was one of
those casualties in WWII.

And whatever really happened with WWII and Hirohito, the USA wasn't exactly
a model democratic country, with its segregated armies and imprisoned
citizens of Japanese descent.

In any case, WWII was not a war fought pre-emptively, so one can hardly
compare it to the situation in Iraq.

Olga