[extropy-chat] is eliezer here yet?

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 10:45:05 UTC 2005

--- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com>
wrote:

> Also, Spike, I hate to say this, but I've always
> avoided sushi, so far, because of concerns about raw
fish.  Maybe I would eat irradiated sushi.

Your reference to irradiation suggest that your
concern is bacterial contamination.  Rawness alone
doesn't cause this, or all sushi would be dead in the
water, 'cause it's definitely raw.  Oldness and
unhygenic handling/processing cause this.  But the
fish used in sushi is uniformly as fresh as is humanly
possible, and the handling is like, buy, wrap,
convey to the restaurant, put in fridge, take out of
fridge, unwrap, slice into slivers, commingle with
various other tasty bits, eat.  (Sometimes the "put in
fridge, take out of fridge" steps are skipped.)  All
achieved so soon after the fish is caught that you
could probably clone a tuna from your sashimi.

If texture is an issue, take note: lox, though often
referred to as 'smoked', is in fact cold processed in
a brine, it's texture indistinguishable from raw.  So
if you've had lox, enjoyed it, and had no problem
with its texture, then without realizing it you're
already a sushi fan.  Believe me, I've had both, lox
and salmon sashimi.  There's not a lick of difference,
texturewise.  A rose by any other name.

Didn't know that about lox, did you?  Puts a whole new
light on the sushi business.

Anyway, whatever trepidation you might have will
almost certainly pass with the first bite.

Gotta go.  I have other fish to fr....

Sorry.

Best, Jeff Davis

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who
said it--no matter if I have said it--unless it agrees
with your own reason and your common sense."
                         Buddha