[extropy-chat] on The Climate Change Question

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Sat Jul 9 12:31:18 UTC 2005

 (7/9/05 13:45) Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:

>I found the 'Reason Online' site today, and input my following text
>into the commentary that follows Baily's Greenhouse Hypocrisy Exposed:

Amara,

Thanks for posting this to the list - I'll be interested in checking those articles. I had only seen the Physics Today article previously (by virtue of it coming to my doorstep, sadly.).

I fear, however, that you are wasting your time and breath in trying to convince the so-called 'climate skeptics' to consider rational evidence.  My experience has been that their rejection of any evidence pointing towards human-driven global warming borders on the religious.  No matter how much evidence I've seen to the contrary, I still hear it claimed, frequently, that there are 'no reputable scientists' that believe in global warming.  Even more disturbing is the persistent rejection that climate scientists are interested in how the solar cycle has affected warming trends, despite ample evidence to the contrary.  My only explanation is that they are indulging in classic psychological projection, attributing to their opponents the symptoms of their own pathos.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein