[extropy-chat] on The Climate Change Question

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 22:58:38 UTC 2005

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:

>  (7/9/05 13:45) Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:
>
> >I found the 'Reason Online' site today, and input my following text
> >into the commentary that follows Baily's Greenhouse Hypocrisy
> Exposed:
>

> Amara,
>
> Thanks for posting this to the list - I'll be interested in checking
> those articles. I had only seen the Physics Today article previously
> (by virtue of it coming to my doorstep, sadly.).
>
> I fear, however, that you are wasting your time and breath in trying
> to convince the so-called 'climate skeptics' to consider rational
> evidence.  My experience has been that their rejection of any
> evidence pointing towards human-driven global warming borders on the
> religious.  No matter how much evidence I've seen to the contrary, I
> still hear it claimed, frequently, that there are 'no reputable
> scientists' that believe in global warming.

This is not true, at least if you are talking about me. I have never
said such a thing. What I have said is that, contrary to the claims of
the chicken-littles, the climatology, geology, astrophysics, and other
relevant scientific communities are NOT in any sort of consensus
regarding anthropogentic global warming (which means there are many for
and against the hypothesis, which varies from year to year, depending
on the science available). Quite a number of "scientists" from
irrelevant and unrelated disciplines (like sociology, political
science, anthropology, medicine, psychiatry, etc) have signed
statements as if their opinion means anything conclusive.

That there is an immense amount of misrepresentation (as Mr. Neal's
statement above) including, for instance, island nations blaming all
local sea level rise on global warming (in the case of Somoa it is
claiming 0.5 meters per year sea level rise) rather than geological
subsidence that is a natural process of the life cycle of seamount type
islands. When the global average sea level rise is 2 mm per year, and
most of that is solely due to the rise of the Caspian Sea basin, which
has nothing to do with the melting of any ice sheets or ice caps at
either pole, then misrepresentations are being made for political
reasons.

Every change of the weather now is attributed to the global warming
boogeyman when it is generally nothing of the sort. The North Atlantic
Occilation, for instance, is totally ignored by the chicken littles.
They also ignore natural phenomena or their lack. For instance, Mt.
Pinatubo's eruption put so much dust in the atmosphere that it cooled
the earth for several years, but the chicken littles dismiss the idea
that warming may be occuring because we are not having as many major
volcanic eruptions as have happened in past centuries. Tambora,
Krakatoa, among other super eruptions, as well as a significant impact
event about 1,000 years ago, have in the past spewed massive amounts of
ash in the atmosphere at enough frequency to suppress global
temperatures for long periods of time. The idea that we are emerging
from a minor ice age and returning to the type of climate the human
race enjoyed from about 7,000 BC to the late Roman era is unthinkable.

Global warming chicken littles also engage in political and academic
repression, INCLUDING a person or persons subscribed to this list who
have communicated with others in their movement and attempted to use my
opinions to damage the academic career of a relative of mine.

> Even more disturbing is
> the persistent rejection that climate scientists are interested in
> how the solar cycle has affected warming trends, despite ample
> evidence to the contrary.  My only explanation is that they are
> indulging in classic psychological projection, attributing to their
> opponents the symptoms of their own pathos.

Solar cycles are not the only atronomical factor involved. The
interaction of the galactic radiation out put with the heliopause has
an impact upon both the Sun's activity, the Earths electromagnetic
field and radiation belts, and the movement of dust in the solar
system.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com