[extropy-chat] mitochondrial quantum leap

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 10 10:04:28 UTC 2005

--- Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Today our team confirmed our previous preliminary
> data showing that we
> can achieve robust mitochondrial transfection and
> protein expression
> in mitochondria of live rats, after an injection of
> genetically
> engineered mitochondrial DNA complexed with our
> protofection
> transfection agent. A significant fraction of cells
> in the brain is
> transfected with this single injection even though
> we so far did not
> optimize the dose.
>
> This achievement has important implications for
> medicine: protofection
> technology works in vivo, and should be capable of
> replacing damaged
> mitochondrial genomes.

Wow. Not to mention customizing entirely new ones. Can
I get some mitochodria with a few extra copies of the
SOD gene? :)

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson