[extropy-chat] mitochondrial quantum leap

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 05:45:11 UTC 2005

Today our team confirmed our previous preliminary data showing that we
can achieve robust mitochondrial transfection and protein expression
in mitochondria of live rats, after an injection of genetically
engineered mitochondrial DNA complexed with our protofection
transfection agent. A significant fraction of cells in the brain is
transfected with this single injection even though we so far did not
optimize the dose.

This achievement has important implications for medicine: protofection
technology works in vivo, and should be capable of replacing damaged
mitochondrial genomes.

Stay tuned.