[extropy-chat] and not merely a great ethicist with lengthy hands-on Defense background

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 23:24:02 UTC 2005

--- c c <beb_cc at yahoo.com> wrote:

> ...but also one who knows history inside out as well as current
> events. Then we might begin to go somewhere. Even so would be as in a
> large drawing room with a full size puzzle on the floor, each holding
> one or two tiny pieces of the puzzle, scratching our heads. We're
> like meteorologists with pencils trying to draw a map of a hurricane.
> Sure, study the issues, try to get a grasp, but you'll be studying
> all your life.
>
> Here's a basic mathematical certainty: when Rumsfeld says we'll be in
> Iraq about twelve years, you multiply it by two and you have the
> number 24. We will be in Iraq a quarter century? Not unlikely, we
> were involved the Cold War from about 1944- 1989.

The distinction between the cold war and the present is that trade with
the states sponsoring or otherwise supporting terrorism is too
lucrative for a cold war strategy of economic embargo, as we employed
against the Soviets and the Warsaw Pact. Seing how the coalition
against Iraq unravelled through the 90's as the UN, nations and
individuals were bribed to corrupt the system, doing the same to Saudi
Arabia, Iran, Syria, and others would not last long, not unless the
terrorists really get agressive and attack France, Germany, and Russia
as well.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com