[extropy-chat] what can you show us?

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Tue Jul 12 02:08:17 UTC 2005

beb_cc at yahoo.com wrote:

>Being there is no clear international law isn't proof
>of undeniably malicious intent needed in the case of
>war crimes?

Impeachment, not war crimes. There is a very different standard of law
well established here.

>  Since technically Iraq was in violation
>of agreements made previously with the UN, it would
>have to be shown America invaded to entirely subjugate
>Iraq and commit war crimes.

It hasn't been determined by the UN security council that Iraq was
definitively in violation. In fact, we invaded over the objections of
the security council and the UN weapons inspectors. It turns out they
were right and we were lying, apparently intentionally.

> If you look backwards to
>2003 so you can say, "now that we know America
>couldn't win the peace, then overthrowing the Baathist
>regime was futile, and the administration had to know
>a sustained resistance to occupation was inevitable &
>unbeatable", that is to say you are attempting to
>prove the course of the war was inevitable and America
>knew so in advance. If you can demonstrate this you
>have a solid case.

No, I'm claiming it was obvious then as now that war is bad and that
there were other options and that the American Presidential group
decided to go to war over the objections of the CIA, the UN and many,
many, many citizens apparently on trumped up "evidence" of Iraq's
capability of delivering weapons of mass destruction (such as having
rockets or nuclear or biological or chemical weapons ability). As a
result, hundreds of thousands of Iraqi's died (baathists and
non-bathists INDISCRIMINATELY) and more than a few thousand americans
have been killed or maimed. That there were other options was obvious
and continues to be obvious. That this was a bad choice was obvious then
and continues to be obvious now.

This point was made at length, even in this forum, BEFORE the war
attempt. It was made strongly in the UN, strongly by military advisors
to Bush who were subsequently fired, and strongly by American
Intelligence agents who were subsequently illegally "outed" by someone
in the White House apparently as retalliation.

How is any of this controversial in the slightest?

Robbie