[extropy-chat] NBIC's effects on biology and medicine

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:23:12 UTC 2005

Future Brief has an interesting short
article<http://www.futurebrief.com/jeffharrowcircle019.asp>by Jeffrey
R. Harrow <http://www.theharrowgroup.com/> on the future of converging
technologies. NBIC (the coming together of the previously disparate fields
of Nanotechnology, Biology & medicine, Information sciences, and Cognitive
sciences) is already bringing fascinating new things to light. As we further
illuminate the nanoworld we may find that it is NBIC's effects on biology
and medicine that will yield the most extraordinary insights and
capabilities of all. Examples:
nanowires<http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050623_125410.html>,
viral cameras <http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994615>.
Harrow shows how simultaneous advances in NBIC disciplines produce positive
feedback loops to facilitate more and more advances with exponential speed
(" The Incestuous Technology Circle"). He also thinks cross-discipline
"renaissance people" should be encouraged:
"This is why I'm so convinced that the most interesting and useful advances
to be made in the foreseeable future will not come from a single field of
endeavor (as has often been the case in the past), but will come from the
knowledge we gain from the Convergence of many fields such as *N*anotechnology,
*B*iology, *I*nformation sciences, and *C*ognitive sciences (NBIC)".