[extropy-chat] Webcast: 1st Annual Workshop on Geoethical Nanotechnology

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 12 19:46:47 UTC 2005

Adrian writes:

"It is, perhaps, possible to attempt to subvert and recast these
regulations and ethics, by demonstrating the ethics of things like the
Proactionary Principle and the damage - "horrors" is perhaps not too
strong a term - inevitably caused by things like the Precautionary
Principle.  But if this is the true intent of ExI's presence, then
given as this is drastically different from the common proposals for
global regulatory frameworks and X-ethics, this should be explicitly
stated.  It was not.  Ergo, this gives the appearance of ExI endorsing
things like the Precautionary Principle - and even giving the
appearance of doing so goes against ExI's interests."

ExI is not involved in this event and there is no connection to any sort of
endorsement of the Precautionary Principle.  (That assumption flys about as
well as a wet shoe with laces tied.)

Adrian, there are several extremely important reasons for being involved in
the event's webcast.  First and foremost and of *immediate importance* is
to introduce and promote the "Proactionary Principle".

If you go to http://www.extropy.org and scroll down a little you can see
information about the "Proactionary Principle."

ExI Project No. 1 - PROACTIONARY PRINCIPLE
As human lives and the global environment become ever more interconnected
with technology, we become increasingly responsible for making wise
decisions about how to use it. We need a balanced opinion on how to apply
technology to human needs.  We should not reject the products of applied
science; neither should we implement powerful new technologies without
foresight and proactive preparation. Above all, we must not tackle the
decisions of the future with the cognitive habits of the past. We need new,
smarter ways to evaluate the opportunities and dangers issuing from
nanotechnology, genetics, machine intelligence, climate engineering, or
neurological modification. The Proactionary Principle is designed
explicitly for this purpose.

And you can read material on the "Proactionary Principle" and the VP Summit
from last year at http://www.extropy.org/summitabout.htm and the
Proactionary Principle at http://www.extropy.org/proactoinaryprinciple.htm

Natasha Vita-More