[extropy-chat] Who thinks the Bush admin lied over Iraq? Onwhatbasis?

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Wed Jul 13 19:13:20 UTC 2005

You raise some very good points in return.

I will offer a cautionary, almost concessional point on your remarks
to start with. Although we can say

> Let's grant that it's possible that Saddam had a small chemical and
> biological weapons arsenal

The 'possible' isn't possible, it was a fact. He did actually have
them at least at some point.

Also, the 'small' qualifier modifying 'arsenal' is a bit personal -
what constitutes small? He factually killed over 8,000 people (names
were recorded, remains identified, etc.) in one attack alone. Is that
amount of chemical weapons a small amount, or is 10x that a small
amount? or 10%? See what I mean?

> that was virtually eradicated by the long-term UN inspections
> regime and/or then removed from the country when we threatened to
> invade,

With this point, I share the notion for even bringing it up, but as I
said - I cannot prove that he moved them. At the same time, we cannot
prove that they were 'virtually eradicated' either.

> OR at best was something that was solvable through the political
> process

This is true, in as much we can say that something in the future
could have been true. Many people will argue that it could have been
solved with less violence. Others will argue we should have attacked
sooner.

The rest of your post makes a lot of sense. There was a lot of
probable outcomes branching at that point in our history. Who knows
if there were WMDs evacuated to other sites? Could we have found a
political solution? It is daunting in the face of such heavy decisions.

I would like to ask you some questions about one of the figures
you've used. I did go to thetip, and to be as helpful as possible, I
think your links need some stronger or more obvious names*

You keep referencing hundreds of thousands of dead civilians. I am
not sure where this is coming from. Is it that report in the British
health journal? I think cnn or the bbc mentioned it a while back.

As for Cheney and Haliburton, well I don't think anyone on either
side of the fence (fences, whatever) will argue that.

One counter-point I'd like to introduce. Is there any benefit to
causing an opponent to expend their limited resources in a manner
that reduces their capacity to do you harm? I know there is an
argument out there that says the battle in Iraq keeps material
support from reaching the United States. If that was the reason the
Bush administration gave in the first place, would you feel any
better about what is going on because of the honesty?

]3

(* for instance instead of just "impeach" make it "the case for
impeaching George W. Bush" - a search engine would never find
'impeach' if someone really wanted to know. Until you mentioned it in
a previous posting in this forum, I didn't think to look there.)