[extropy-chat] Who thinks the Bush admin lied over Iraq? Onwhatbasis?

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 21:15:37 UTC 2005

Bret Kulakovich wrote:

> You raise some very good points in return.
>
> I will offer a cautionary, almost concessional point on your remarks
> to start with. Although we can say
>
>> Let's grant that it's possible that Saddam had a small chemical and
>> biological weapons arsenal
>

> The 'possible' isn't possible, it was a fact. He did actually have
> them at least at some point.

I gave a reference in the last message to some damning proof that he did
in fact have the ones that we (the us) provided to him during the 80's
under the supervision of the Reagan/Bush administration and, I might
add, without congressional consent.

> Also, the 'small' qualifier modifying 'arsenal' is a bit personal -
> what constitutes small? He factually killed over 8,000 people (names
> were recorded, remains identified, etc.) in one attack alone. Is that
> amount of chemical weapons a small amount, or is 10x that a small
> amount? or 10%? See what I mean?

Of course, but this is all OLD NEWS - our (cia) operatives were helping
them gas the kurds so they could concentrate on killing Iranians for
us.  We can't blame Saddam for doing things that we paid him to do.
Let's not play games.  My point is that we could grant that he CONTINUED
after the 10-year inspection regime to have a small (apparently
invisible*) arsenal of hidden weapons that the weapons inspectors of the
UN were unable to detect either before or after they were ejected (and
returned) AND still be pissed at Bush for lying to us since he obviously
didn't KNOW that Saddam did despite what they (Bush and Powell and
Cheney and Rumsfeld) said.  We can also fault them/him for making a
very, very bad decision in starting a war with someone who had such an
arsenal and was capable of disseminating to other even less stable
elements (as is the current top republican theory) and with not apparent
exit plan other than that the Iraqi's will welcome us.  Well guess what,
they didn't put out some pie and coffee when we got there.

If there weren't such obvious profits involved in going to war for Bush
and Cheney and Rumsfeld, one would think that the case for going to war
was simply irrational ("they almost killed my dad") or stupidity ("We
look forward to analyzing and working with legislation that will
make--it would hope--put a free press's mind at ease that you're not
being denied information you shouldn't see." George Bush, Washington,
D.C., April 14, 2005).  However, in light of the tremendous profit
potential, we have to regard their actions as rational but unfortunately
evil.  The risk of the American Public becoming sufficiently outraged
before the damage could be done and profit made was too small because of
the natural tendency of the new-deal-educated-sheep to swallow whatever
codswallop is secreted from the Rovian press room.

> that was virtually eradicated by the long-term UN inspections  regime
> and/or then removed from the country when we threatened to  invade,
>
> With this point, I share the notion for even bringing it up, but as I
> said - I cannot prove that he moved them. At the same time, we cannot
> prove that they were 'virtually eradicated' either.

What we seem to agree on is that 1)  they weren't there when we got
there and 2) we didn't -actually- have any good reason to suspect that
they would be.  I think that's all that's needed to make the case.

>> OR at best was something that was solvable through the political
>> process
>

> This is true, in as much we can say that something in the future
> could have been true. Many people will argue that it could have been
> solved with less violence. Others will argue we should have attacked
> sooner.

As I argued here before, war is a last resort - REALLY.  This means that
war should be used only when all other options have been exhausted. This
is because war is dangerous and unpredictable and leads to exponential
complications usually of a bad sort.  I assume you agree that its
obvious that we didn't exhaust ALL OTHER OPTIONS.  As I recall, the
weapons inspectors of the UN were again ejected from Iraq after our
declaration of our intention to invade, and that our threats had managed
to get them back into the country.  Our threats and existing sanctions
were enough.  If threatening is enough, there's no need to fight.

> The rest of your post makes a lot of sense. There was a lot of
> probable outcomes branching at that point in our history. Who knows
> if there were WMDs evacuated to other sites? Could we have found a
> political solution? It is daunting in the face of such heavy decisions.
>

> I would like to ask you some questions about one of the figures
> you've used. I did go to thetip, and to be as helpful as possible, I
> think your links need some stronger or more obvious names*

Thanks, you're quite right - although I still manage to get #3-#10 on
google for "impeach george bush" on any given day.  I haven't had time
to keep up on that aspect of the site.  There are LOTS of problems with
it.  For instance, the design was thrown together in about 10 minutes,
the "content management system" is bastardized from something originally
written for another platform altogether (including another database) and
consequently does lots of stupid things (like break paragraphs and words
in the middle because of boundaries of database records, etc.)  There
are entire sections of content and functionality retired simply because
I didn't have time to promote them, even though I think they're good
ideas (I used to have a boycotting section, my personal favorite, for
instance).  It doesn't have a really good way of automatically filtering
out spoof email addresses and names, etc.  And I haven't had time to
keep up with the SEO game.  "Not everyone can carry the weight of the
world".

But I think impeach -who- is obvious enough - I mean who else would you
impeach right now if you're in the US and paying attention to the news
in the last two years?  (well maybe some federal judges, but I think
most people don't even know that you can impeach a judge).

> You keep referencing hundreds of thousands of dead civilians. I am
> not sure where this is coming from. Is it that report in the British
> health journal? I think cnn or the bbc mentioned it a while back.

Well, we don't have a reliable source of numbers, obviously, since our
government doesn't allow third-party observers to investigate such
matters.  On the other hand, we have the Lancet Study which reports the
total civilian dead since the beginning of the effort at around 98,000,
when you include the military deaths you're up over a hundred.  It's a
matter of conjecture what percentage is collateral dammage versus
natural causes.  HOWEVER since there is a big war and we did just shock
and awe the shit out of their biggest city and continue to be carrying
live ammunition around in the streets there and since we won't allow
third-party investigators to settle the matter there is an impetus to
err on the side of more dead rather than less, at least until say, the
Red Cross or UN is admitted to analyze the situation publicly and
without any obvious accountability to the Bush Administration.  But even
at 99,000 dead iraqi's the sadness of the matter remains.  Perhaps I
should post this disclaimer on the site.

> As for Cheney and Haliburton, well I don't think anyone on either
> side of the fence (fences, whatever) will argue that.

What about Bush and UDI?  This is a major part of the case.  Otherwise
we'd have to regard their actions as bumbling idiocy.  Instead, there's
a sinister money element, too.  It's really, really insidious when you
take into consideration Haliburton, UDI/Carlyle, Bechtel and even our
non-favorite democrat, Diane Feinstein (who along with -most- of those
turncoats voted to give Bush the authority to war for us) and hubby
Dicky Blum and URS, Inc.  The truth is, of course, the payoff list on
this war was long (but not suprisingly long, it takes a lot of political
will to make a war and that costs money).

> One counter-point I'd like to introduce. Is there any benefit to
> causing an opponent to expend their limited resources in a manner
> that reduces their capacity to do you harm? I know there is an
> argument out there that says the battle in Iraq keeps material
> support from reaching the United States. If that was the reason the
> Bush administration gave in the first place, would you feel any
> better about what is going on because of the honesty?

I doubt that it would have gone on at all had Bush been honest - it
would have been much harder to explain why people were going to have to
die because Saddam MAY have weapons and we don't know and he MAY have
allies who MAY use them, but we don't know.  Of course he MAY.  I MAY.
But that's not a good enough reason to hunt me down and kill me and
certainly not enough reason to bomb downtown Hilo (where I may or may
not be).  (Well, some people would no doubt like to hunt me down and
kill me anyway and that would no doubt be among their excuses and if
someone were to bomb downtown Hilo, they may like to use me and my
potential terrorist connections to justify it but again, I'm still
waiting for my check for the mildly war-damaged Vietnamese swampland I'm
selling.)

Given that the rate and intensity of terrorist activity has gone up as
well as the apparent sources of threat (since now some Baathist allies
may have the leftover WMD's from the defunct Iraqi government giving us
another major potential threat - ASSUMING you believe that story at all,
which I don't).  So again, given that there were other options (and in
fact remain other options) of course I would not support a pre-emptive
war. I would never support a pre-emptive war, the very idea being
against any kind of moral evaluation of warfare other than the sadistic
imperialistic version of morality or completely relativistic morality of
"what I want now".  Contrary to what our logico-philosophical political
philosophers (since when is Warren Goldfarb a political philosopher?)
may have said about it.  The policy of pre-emptive war is tantamount to
proactive imperialism being the same effective policy (kill others
whenever we see them as a potential threat so they don't become an
actuall threat).

With regards,

Robbie Lindauer

(Ps - it wasn't my intention to shamelessly plug thetip.org, Paatsch
asked for references apparently to see if I knew what I was talking
about, so I started shoving it down his throat, I don't actually even
like the site that much any more, it's not really accomplishing the goal
for which it was intended, e.g. unelecting him in the last term.  I
don't think that any impeachment effort will succeed because the
political will in congress doesn't exist - too many people would have to
admit they were fooled and/or wrong.  Given that he won't be impeached
and that the international war crimes court isn't touching it, there
doesn't appear to be much we can do but complain and wait him out -
hopefully with the effect of making a democrat seem more plausible (even
though I'm not a democrat - we think in an ideal world, but live in the
real one).  Hopefully Jeb won't run next time  (and even if he does, I
think his name is too white-trashy to really appeal broadly) and I'm
pretty sure Cheney couldn't win against anyone who looked alive.  I
mean, I just can't see myself voting for someone named Jeb even if they
were a libertarian.

* I like oxymorons and footnotes in emails.