[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sat Jul 23 20:56:17 UTC 2005

From: "Brent Neal" <brentn at freeshell.org>

> (7/23/05 12:23) David Lubkin <extropy at unreasonable.com> wrote:
>
>>As long as we are mortal, for any society to continue, there must be
>>replacement members. It is reasonable for someone to be concerned that new
>>members are created, and that they are protected until adulthood.  It is
>>reasonable to want a social mechanism that encourages this. It is
>>reasonable to not want that member production to be dependent on the
>>presence of an enabling technology, so that the society can survive in the
>>face of a profound technological collapse.

> Wow.  So, you're "concerned about gay marriage" because you're afraid that
> without at least a replacement rate of population, we won't be able to
> maintain our society.  This is mind-bogglingly ridiculous.

Agree.  I couldn't believe I was reading what Mr. Lubkin wrote up there -
had to read it twice to make certain I didn't misread the first time.

> 2) I assume, then, that het couples who choose to remain childless concern
> you just as much?

Furthermore, many gay couples DO have children - there are biological
options (thanks to the technological and cultural advances that are making
spawning other than the "old fashioned way" possible), and there are
adoption options.

Ball's in your court Mr. Lubkin.

Olga