[extropy-chat] Why I am No Longer a Libertarian Either...

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 05:00:01 UTC 2005

--- Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:

> Challenge to Avantguardian: Is there anything
> society can or should do
> to mitigate the obstacles facing people who don't
> have the right
> qualities to succeed?

     Well that depends a lot on what you mean by
mitigation. If you mean mitigation by lowering the bar
then I am against that and would not suggest any means
of doing it. If you mean mitigation to making the
whole process as fair as possible, regardless of race,
creed, national origin, or, in the case of mixed-race
individuals, the lack thereof, then I am all in favor
of it. So in the spirit of friendly brainstorming,
here they are:

1. Eliminate all references to race on all government
and/or employment related application forms except for
those of the U.S. Census Bureau.

2. Scrap the public school system beyond 6th grade
except for trade schools and universities. Instead,
use the money to GIVE every household with children a
computer with a DSL connnection and run the schools
online. This will enable all children to learn at
their own pace and will be completely color blind as
you only see people on the internet if they want you
to. Plus there is no difference in quality of
education by neighborhood.

3. Place a cap on inheritence of capital by any one
descendent of one home and $1 million in assests,
liquid or otherwise. If someone can't make it with a
head start like that, they're a feeb and need to get
weeded out.

      From an evolutionary point of view, lowering the
bar, while noble as an apologetic gesture to those
that might have been oppressed at some point in the
past, is detrimental to the long term health and
development of whatever subculture they belong to.

      I could think of some more, but that is all I
have on the top of my head.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson