[extropy-chat] Famous author self destructs in public! Film at eleven.

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Jun 3 17:22:30 UTC 2005

A fetus is not a child until it is granted that status by the woman
carrying it.  Otherwise women are subject to unbidden duties by any
failure in contraceptive viability (if available) or any lapse in
attentiveness to such protections.    Where do you get the jump that
it is a duty to have children?

The entire notion of when a set of cells becomes a human child with
all the rights and duties attending thereto is hotly debated.  Is a
blastocyst a "child"?   Are the sperm and egg before union somehow a
"child"?  Does it take a sperm and an egg?  If we take an unfertilzed
egg and replace its nucleus with the nucleus from an adult cell from
say the adult's finger is the result also a "child"?

Your anecdote makes your attachment to the argument understandable
but it does not give you the means to claim that you have proven
abortion is murder or that every pregnant woman has the duty despite
all her needs and wishes to carry to term.

- samantha