[extropy-chat] Famous author self destructs in public! Film at eleven.

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 18:08:52 UTC 2005

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> A fetus is not a child until it is granted that status by the woman
> carrying it.

Wow, women have the power of life and death over the most helpless in
their care. I realized that some women see themselves as God, or gods
gift to men, while others thing that god is a woman, but I had no idea
that all women were so empowered... there is thus obviously no legal
basis to prosecute women who kill their babies in post-partum
depression...

> Otherwise women are subject to unbidden duties by any
> failure in contraceptive viability (if available) or any lapse in
> attentiveness to such protections.    Where do you get the jump that
> it is a duty to have children?

What about that social contract you ladies are always yakking about?

> The entire notion of when a set of cells becomes a human child with
> all the rights and duties attending thereto is hotly debated.  Is a
> blastocyst a "child"?   Are the sperm and egg before union somehow a
> "child"?  Does it take a sperm and an egg?  If we take an unfertilzed
> egg and replace its nucleus with the nucleus from an adult cell from
> say the adult's finger is the result also a "child"?

Is a seven month old fetus a blastocyst? Is a nine month fetus a 'clump
of cells'? Stop yammering hyperbole and stick to the topic.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com