[extropy-chat] Famous author self destructs in public! Filmateleven.

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sat Jun 4 23:11:48 UTC 2005

From: "Samantha Atkins" <sjatkins at mac.com>

> Yep.  I keep experiencing people attributing all sorts of things to  me
> given my stand on the subject of abortion.  I am amazed and often
> blind-sided by this so you are doubtless right.

I have had the same experience, yup.

> Sounds good to me.  Of course the rub is in the question of what is
> allowable to simulate or correct toward the ideal goal state in the
> meantime.    I think you can work backward from the goal of total  control
> over when a pregnancy occurs to it being permissible to end  an unwanted
> pregnancy that escaped one's currently imperfect  control.  Others of
> course disagree.

My grandmother - who got married in 1915 in Russia, at the dawn of that
revolution ... and who had given birth to two children by the time she
settled in White-Russian-China in the early 1920s, got pregnant accidentally
when she was in her early 40s and things were getting ugly in China - that
was in 1939.  She did not philosophize about it much - she did what she
thought she needed to do to keep herself and her family safe and "packable"
(as the White Russians often needed to suddenly move from one
hot-and-dangerous area - to another less dangerous area ... until they
eventually got to the promised land of the USA, which sometimes took years,
if not decades).  I am not 100% certain what my grandmother did - but she
either took something or did something to herself to cause an abortion (or
both?) - and I always thought it was very brave or her.  She never talked
about it (I overheard things here and there), and she definitely never
played "victim."  Even in light of some danger to her own life, it was just
a practical thing she felt she needed to do - to get some back some control
she needed in the out-of-control world of the immigrant-in-a-strange-land.

I am constantly amazed - looking back - at how strong some of the women with
whom I grew up were.  And they cooked like you wouldn't believe, to boot.

And I think my grandmother would have tried to eat Mike Lorrey alive, if she
got the chance.

Olga