[extropy-chat] Fear of flying

Kevin Freels kevin at kevinfreels.com
Thu Jun 9 07:11:17 UTC 2005

Yes. Riding in  a car is just as bad - except that when I sold cars for a
while I was forced to get over it. I arrived at my destination yesterday and
I am in Oregon now (anyone here close to Lake Oswego?). Something I need to
consider later - My cab driver was nuts and drove like speed racer. Scared
the living shit out of me. But the fear was "different". Maybe because 20
minutes is far less than 4 hours, but I haven't had a chance to really think
on it yet. Maybe because I am more used to cars. Not sure yet. I still wish
I could nail down that difference between human fear f heights and Orang's
love of heights. Before I do anything else, I think I am going to climb a
tree when I get home and see if I experience the same fears. If I don't,
that will show how much "fear of heights" plays into the problem.
***For those interested - I flew to Atlanta in a Window seat and actually
more safe than my 2nd flight in a center aisle seat of a 767. Is there a
greater amount of perceived control when I can see out the window vs not
being able to? Who knows? I have nbo explanation, but it was an interesting
observation. I am documenting this all on paper though and plan to publish
it to the net when I get back - even if mosty think it is worthless
information.