[extropy-chat] Fear of flying

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Thu Jun 9 23:30:52 UTC 2005

Kevin Freels wrote:

> I don't think the issue is height. As I said, I am a student pilot and
> have no trouble there. Also, many pilots seem to have trouble flying
> commercial.

Try this (on smaller airliners not Jumbos.)  Ask for an exit aisle
window seat. You are now an honorary member of the crew with an
important responsibility in the event of an emergency. Pay careful
attention to the safety briefing,and carefully read and understand the
safety card, all as part of fulfilling your responsibilities as an
exit-aisle "crew member." Your psyche is likely to use this position of
responsibility to let you feel as if you have more control. On a Jumbo,
the exit aisle is usually not a good seat (no tray table, exposed to
traffic in the main aisle) but you may choose to use this strategy on a
Jumbo if you find it helps on a smaller airliner.