[extropy-chat] evolution of language: was Wetware vs. Hardware (wasIQ vs Upload)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 16:23:23 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike

> > An example would be the term "bad" which actually
> > means in some usages good, as for example in the
> > Michael Jackson song "Im Bad".
> >
> > spike
>
> My notion is that European languages are used by
> people whose outlook on life is nearly identical
> to those which I am so familiar in the U.S.  I can
> identify no fundamental dissimilarity in emotional
> or memetic makeup of my own system to that of
> Europeans, therefore those languages should have
> analogous structures.
>
> That assumption leads to the following question:
> do Russian, German, French or any of the other
> European languages have anything analogous to the term
> bad coming to mean good?

Given the bad=good evolution came out of the african american
community, I would posit that one should look to europeans who have
endured centuries of servitude, slavery, etc. i.e. anything that is
'bad' for the master is considered 'good' for the slave, and vice versa...

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com