[extropy-chat] Re: Police Officer Dies After Brawl With Biotech Protesters

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Jun 22 20:44:19 UTC 2005

It's one thing to be technically correct, and over the last 10 years or
so I've seen that you're strong in marshalling technical detail to
support your points.

It's another thing to be clear about one's principles and to defend them
vigorously, and I've seen this as another of your consistent strengths.

It's another thing altogether to be clear about one's principles,
technically capable, AND be able to build effective cooperation in
support of one's goals within a diverse population of varying
backgrounds and experiences.  That is where I think we extropians and/or
transhumanists are typically quite weak.

While my initial comment was directed toward you, Mike and the example
of your statement that "the Luddites are committing murder", my concern
is much more general in the sense of how ineffective we are at applying
leading edge thinking to issues of importance to us.

We are typically very good at identifying and shooting down the flaws in
opposing viewpoints, but we are not as highly skilled at conveying
understanding of another's point of view and then building a larger
structure of thought within which differing viewpoints can grow towards
common goals.

We apply prejudicial labels, such as Luddite, to groups who would
strongly disavow such a label.  The label serves to separate us further,
rather than to build bridges toward understanding, or even imply that
that we would like to do so.

Some of us are fervently anti-religion, rather than working
cooperatively with the fact that that we are immersed in an environment
of many belief systems, all of which have served some local purpose (or
they wouldn't exist) and none of which (our own included) are perfectly
rational.

There is power in the political technique of belittling and downgrading
one's opponents, but in the bigger picture the power of truth tends to
be even more effective, and the bigger picture "truth" contains all the
opponent parts.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net