[extropy-chat] Physicians and Spirituality

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 03:19:29 UTC 2005

On 6/23/05, Diego Caleiro <diegocaleiro at terra.com.br> wrote:
> Supose that
>
> 1 You can develop sentient minds
> 2 You can change characteristics of your own mind
> 3 You can control some characteristics of this sentient mind to be "better"
> than ours, more altruistic, more visual accuracy etc...

You presumably also mean:

4 You can do all this while assuring that the whole process doesn't
result in a trajectory that departs from the small part of the space
of intelligences that contains sentience.

So what it amounts to is:

Suppose that I am God.

Well, if I were God, I'd probably do a lot of things. I'm not, nor are
you, nor is any man. If you believe there is a God, however, by all
means feel free to ask Him to do the things you outline. I would
strongly recommend you do _not_ take such upon yourself, nor encourage
any man to do so.

- Russell