[extropy-chat] RE: Physicians and Spirituality

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 18:13:55 UTC 2005

Ayup. My mother, who some of you may recall had a very bad operation a
few years ago, told me recently she lost some faith in the outcome
before the operation when she asked her surgeon if he was a praying man
and he said 'no'. Knowing he was not praying for her may have had an
impact on her faith in her own recovery. She improved quite a bit once
she became aware enough to know that the Pope had prayed for her
specifically at mass at the Vatican. The docs were shocked, beyond just
a 'whew', that she actually lived through it all.

I replied to her, "But mum, do you think that God actually prays to
himself? Surgeons play god all the time, so it is only natural if they
don't see the point in prayer when they are assuming the office." ;)

--- Henrik Öhrström <henrik.ohrstrom at gmail.com> wrote:

> You won't ever do a proper job if you belive that someone else is
> going to
> cover your mistakes.
> I prefere someone who do not belive that a dead patient (might be me)
> have
> gone to a better place.
> Nonbelivers make better Gods, when did you last get to see the design
> specs
> for any God?
> Sloppy work, no quality control.

> > Think of it this way. How can a physician play God
> > with your life if he doesn't believe in God? ;)
> >

> > The Avantguardian
> > is
> > Stuart LaForge
> > alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu
> >
> > "The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they
> > haven't attempted to contact us."
> > -Bill Watterson

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)