[extropy-chat] RE: Physicians and Spirituality

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 22:11:23 UTC 2005

Incidently there is long history of theism amongst
doctors. This is because the first physicians were
priests of Hermes or Apollo in ancient Greece and
priests of Thoth amongst the Egyptians. Therefore
there has always been a "sacred" quality to the
practice of medicine.

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ayup. My mother, who some of you may recall had a
> very bad operation a
> few years ago, told me recently she lost some faith
> in the outcome
> before the operation when she asked her surgeon if
> he was a praying man
> and he said 'no'. Knowing he was not praying for her
> may have had an
> impact on her faith in her own recovery. She
> improved quite a bit once
> she became aware enough to know that the Pope had
> prayed for her
> specifically at mass at the Vatican. The docs were
> shocked, beyond just
> a 'whew', that she actually lived through it all.
>
> I replied to her, "But mum, do you think that God
> actually prays to
> himself? Surgeons play god all the time, so it is
> only natural if they
> don't see the point in prayer when they are assuming
> the office." ;)
>
> --- Henrik Öhrström <henrik.ohrstrom at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > You won't ever do a proper job if you belive that
> someone else is
> > going to
> > cover your mistakes.
> > I prefere someone who do not belive that a dead
> patient (might be me)
> > have
> > gone to a better place.
> > Nonbelivers make better Gods, when did you last
> get to see the design
> > specs
> > for any God?
> > Sloppy work, no quality control.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson