[extropy-chat] Microbes Produce Miniature Electrical Wires

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 20:37:25 UTC 2005

I am delighted but not surprised. Nature is genius and
we are Her students. As a microbiologist I firmly
believe that microbes will save or damn the world
depending on what we do with them.

http://www.umass.edu/newsoffice/archive/2005/062205microbes.html

> “Such long, thin conductive structures are
> unprecedented in biology,” said Lovley. “This
> completely changes our concept of how microorganisms
> can handle electrons, and it also seems likely that
> microbial nanowires could be useful materials for
> the
> development of extremely small electronic devices.”
>
> The findings ... are “promising and exciting,”
> although ... the information must be independently
> confirmed and extended by other microbiologists and
> biophysicists.
>
>                  ******************
>
> Humanity is so very proud of its technological
> sophistication.  Stainless steel tech gear,
> micro/nano
> computer gizmos, flashing LEDs, crisp white lab
> coats.
>  But occasionally, when a fragment of the vast
> unknown
> is revealed, I think of Dr. F's Igor, the
> overdressed
> neanderthal.  Dumber than a sackfull of hammers.
>
> Present company excepted, of course.  ;-)
>
> Best, Jeff Davis
>
>    "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
>                            Ray Charles

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson