[extropy-chat] 70% oppose resumption of military conscription

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sun Jun 26 17:18:55 UTC 2005

Japan is running low on workers.  They're putting pressure on the
worker-producers (increased benefits for having children) and maybe
considering allowing much more immigration although that's unlikely for
political reasons...but what they're really getting serious about is
robotics, so they can build more workers.  Better and more widely used
robotics has the potential to be a permanent solution to their problem,
not to mention it has other benefits we can take advantage of.

America is running low on soldiers.  They're putting pressure on the
soldier-producers (recruitment drives and related measures) and maybe
considering re-implementing a draft although that's unlikely for
political reasons...but what they're really getting serious about is
robotics, so they can build more soldiers.  Better and more widely used
robotics has the potential to be a permanent solution to their problem,
not to mention it has other benefits we can take advantage of.

Same problem.  Same logic.  Same solution.