Meta: Too far Re: [extropy-chat] Re: Iraq and legality again

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 29 13:33:52 UTC 2005

From: Dirk Bruere

Natasha Vita-More wrote:

> Frankly, a true and correct vision of transhumanism would not be
> nationalistic, but for the future - whatever organization of people
> and governing/ruling of society takes place.
>
> Just like pitting one country against another, pitting one political
> position against another is lacking in scope and sorely missing the
> thrust of transhumanism.
>
> This is precisely why I oppose the forced democracy of WTA and the
> insistence by James Hughes, Mike, or Dirk -  or any of us that one
> political position is better than another and that people have to fit
> neatly into a political box.  All of them - us - have positive things
> to offer to the world and it would be good to see them realized rather
> than used to dismiss and/or criticize others within our community.

"My position is somewhat different."
"I believe groups of people should be free to determine for themselves
how they live their lives without being subject to the dictatorship of a
majority that they do not affect physically."

Yes, certainly.  Groups can be developed in small clusters or nexui
configurations; as well as larger diverse communities/groups where people
want to develop a combined ideology that works in interesting ways. Some
people enjoy a "puzzle" in which to develop step by step the processes;
others function better with specific guidelines from the get-go.

> What we need to do is to get futuristic and learn how to rise above
> this 20th Century inability to resolve conflict.

"We almost did that for a short time in the early 1990s
At that point it looked like we had finally got to the point where we
realized that invading other peoples countries on any pretext other than
direct self defense was wrong. Now Bush does it on a pretext of lies, or
if found out, it becomes 'regime change' or 'for their own good'."

The Internet was an interesting format for establishing a protocol for
communication, trade, ownership and open source.  It was quite lovely to be
a part of difference groups/clusters which developed through their
individual groups' decisions on how to function.

For myself, at least at this point in my life, I would prefer to be part of
an international cluster whose "citizens" were from diverse ethnic,
political and religious backgrounds, whose desire would be to build the
architecture for relationships to establish cooperation and individuality
and whose goal was to design a prototype for the world to interact smartly.
This, of course, would have to be explained in length and I just gave a
Polaroid snapshot of the terrain.

Best,
Natasha

Natasha Vita-More