[extropy-chat] Faculty X

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Fri Mar 4 14:10:46 UTC 2005

Ned Late wrote:

>Sociopaths as well as Psychopaths?
>Dirk, your post is a sobering one, disturbing. But I
>would like to point you to the existence of those who
>DO understand in depth what is they lack, as well as

I suggest that is *not* possible, any more than someone blind from birth
can appreciate colour. No matter how well it is described.
Obviously there are degrees rather than the black and white picture I
have painted, but that was done for the sake of illustrating the argument.

>knowing the words for 'it'; what effects are manifest
>in others; and, yes, tend to consider those who also
>possess the faculty in different form to be
>irrational, enslaved. However in the free falling
>atmosphere of discourse one has to make a stand or at
>least a precarious decision, so as to avoid the queasy
>sensation of being a weathervane buffeted by contrary
>winds. Intellectuals & savants have to make bad
>judgement calls all the time, under the pressure of
>time constraints.
>Beyond this my limited but hyperdriven imagination is
>nonplussed. I'm stumped.

When I was about 30 I took LSD for the first time.
The experiences had two remarkable effects.
The first was the (later) realisation that previously I had not been
*capable* of imagining  aspects of the experience. I literally had a
deficiency that was only manifest when it disappeared.

Second, I ceased to be a rabid militant pain-in-the-arse atheist of the
type that infests Transhumanist lists.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-