[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Mar 7 22:42:42 UTC 2005

On Mar 7, 2005, at 10:41 AM, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> --- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 6, 2005, at 10:43 AM, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>>
>>> Tolerable treatment includes a lack of mockery, disparagement and
>>> insults.
>>>

>> You mean unlike the disparagement of and insults towards atheists you
>> keep cycling on of late?  Is intellectual consistency and integrity a
>> virtue in your system of values?
>
> Consistency includes giving as gotten. I also believe you are ignoring
> my equally critical evaluation of the quality of many theist arguments.
> So I'm not asking for tolerance of myself, as an agnostic (since until
> I have the knowledge to answer the questions of the Simulation
> Argument, I shall not have gnosis one way or the other), but of the
> atheist for the equally valid/invalid position of the theist as the
> theist should have for the equally valid/invalid position of the
> atheist.

I was trying to gently call you on acting like a jerk.  Apparently my
efforts are misplaced as you immediately dive into self-justification
and further attacks.

There is nothing invalid about "I do not believe XXX due to
insufficient evidence, etc."  You do not have the high ground simply
for making up some way XXX could maybe, sort of be so and then saying
that since you have no way (mostly by construction) of proving the
negative that the imagined scenario is not the case that you most say
you have no way of knowing whether XXX is the case and therefore you
will only say that you don't know and ride the fence.   In my opinion
this is a refusal to admit that by standards you apply elsewhere in
your life you do not believe there is a god and are not in the least
justified to equivocate.    In my opinion because your position is
shaky you lash out against those that simply say they do not believe
this XXX is the case.   Argument after argument where you attempt to
justify you stance and attacks on others who do not share it has been
countered.  Yet you continue with the very same arguments already shown
lacking.  Surely this is enough for you to see that something other
than rationality is spurring you on.

- samantha