[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 23:14:26 UTC 2005

Sorry Jeff, but I don't believe in the non-existence of god, and I'm
perfectly willing to be a theist if the Sim argument turns out
overwhelming odds that we are in a sim, which is what seems more likely
at this point in time. I wouldn't have so many arguments with the
avowed atheists here if I were one.

--- Jeff Medina <analyticphilosophy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hate to break it to you, Mike, but you're an atheist. Atheism is lack
> of theism, no more, no less. You're not a theist, so you're an
> atheist. So sayeth the Grand High Council of the Godless.
>

> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 10:41:41 -0800 (PST), Mike Lorrey
> <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > --- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> and
> > > >

> > > You mean unlike the disparagement of and insults towards atheists
> you
> > > keep cycling on of late?  Is intellectual consistency and
> integrity a
> > > virtue in your system of values?
> >
> > Consistency includes giving as gotten. I also believe you are
> ignoring
> > my equally critical evaluation of the quality of many theist
> arguments.
> > So I'm not asking for tolerance of myself, as an agnostic (since
> until
> > I have the knowledge to answer the questions of the Simulation
> > Argument, I shall not have gnosis one way or the other), but of the
> > atheist for the equally valid/invalid position of the theist as the
> > theist should have for the equally valid/invalid position of the
> > atheist.
> >
> > I hear the atheists here crying all the time about the theist
> > majority's political actions with absolutely no attempts being made
> > understand their position (such as the valid moral position of not
> > being forced by government to pay for medical procedures the
> individual
> > taxpayer believes are heinously wrong, which is just as wrong and
> the
> > same moral stance as opposing the forcing of atheists to pay taxes
> that
> > would go to support private religious education of other people's
> > kids). You can't have your cake and eat it too.
> >
> > Now, you generally don't like to be called on this and act very
> > vehemently when I have used your own hypocrisy to justify other
> > policies you oppose. When are YOU going to show some moral
> consistency?
> >
> > Mike Lorrey
> > Vice-Chair, 2nd District, Libertarian Party of NH
> > "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
> > It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
> >                                       -William Pitt (1759-1806)
> > Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com

Mike Lorrey