[extropy-chat] Re: Athiesm in decline

Joseph Bloch jbloch at humanenhancement.com
Thu Mar 17 00:43:31 UTC 2005

Excellent post, John; I would make only one comment...

john-c-wright at sff.net wrote:

>I note that in these optimistic tales, the con men who fool the rubes with
>their made-believe religions win. DUNE by Frank Herbert is an exception; one of
>his themes is that the Messiah cannot control the events he sets in motion, the
>Jihad world-destroying he sparks cannot be stopped.

The theme of the engineered religion is actually approached in several
places in the Dune series. I note specifically the idea that the Bene
Gesserit seeded various worlds with messianic faiths that were
specifically tied to the appearance of Bene Gesserit Mothers (the
"Missionaria Protectiva"). As Sparknotes puts it (and I use that only
because it is one of the first sites to come up in Google, and is a fair
assessment of the topic):

"The Bene Gesserit use the Missionaria Protectiva to spread contrived
legends and prophecies to developing worlds. Bene Gesserit can exploit
these legends to earn the respect of the native inhabitants, who believe
in the contrived legends." (http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/dune/themes.html)

Joseph

Enhance your body "beyond well" and your mind "beyond normal":
http://www.humanenhancement.com

New Jersey Transhumanist Association:
http://www.goldenfuture.net/njta