META: overposting (Re: [extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline: meme map)

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Mon Mar 21 00:13:08 UTC 2005

Zero Powers wrote:

>FWIW: I'm on the transparency, gun-free, atheist side of the debate.
>Politics?  Still undecided.  Your mileage, of course, will vary.

My take:

Transparency is inevitable. I'm not "in favor" of it any more than I'm
in favor of gravity.

Guns? I'm neutral. There are serious problems with gun control, and with
gun ownership.

Atheist: yes. but non-theist is more precise for me.
    Atheist: passionately believes there is no god.
    Agnostic: does not confirm or deny that there is a god.
    non-theist: considers the question to be irrelevant.

Politics? I try to vote for what works. Sadly, in the US we cannot vote
for issues, only for candidates.

But your original point is correct: we have demonstrated empirically on
this list that we cannot actually
make any "progress" on these four issues. Nobody's position has changed,
and nobody appears to want to
agree to a collaborative structure in which we can parameterize our
differences and agreements. If we did
agree to do this, we could show precisely where we agree and where we
disagree, and decouple (or explicitly
couple) the various concepts. This would allow us to refer tot he
collaboration matrix instead of continually
re-posting our positions.

Would such a collaboration be Extropian? I think so, At a minimum, it
would increase the efficiency fo theis list.