[extropy-chat] Thoughts on Schiavo

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Mar 26 19:49:40 UTC 2005

On Mar 26, 2005, at 6:00 AM, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> Lets make one thing perfectly clear: Terri Schiavo's responsiveness is
> no less than the responsiveness of Stephen Hawking. Stephen just has a
> lot of high tech gizmos he's had years to learn to use to make himself
> useful in the world. Terri has been denied the same opportunities by
> her husband and remains in a condition that Stephen would be in today
> given a similar level of neglect.

This is the most empty and baseless assertion i believe I have ever
seen from you.  Comparing one of the finest minds of our age to a woman
who by every test we can administer is mentally unfortunately little
more than a vegetable shows a patent disregard of reality.    Why are
you just looking at the outside an ignoring everything we know and can
test?

> Now, this being established, if we imagine instead that Stephen Hawking
> were in that hospital instead of Terri, what would you do about what is
> being done to him?

  Do you belief that your baseless assertion "establishes" anything at
all?  What is your real agenda in this?

- samantha