[extropy-chat] Thoughts on Schiavo

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 23:53:40 UTC 2005

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2005, at 6:00 AM, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> > Lets make one thing perfectly clear: Terri Schiavo's responsiveness
> is
> > no less than the responsiveness of Stephen Hawking. Stephen just
> has a
> > lot of high tech gizmos he's had years to learn to use to make
> himself
> > useful in the world. Terri has been denied the same opportunities
> by
> > her husband and remains in a condition that Stephen would be in
> today
> > given a similar level of neglect.
>
> This is the most empty and baseless assertion i believe I have ever
> seen from you.  Comparing one of the finest minds of our age to a
> woman
> who by every test we can administer is mentally unfortunately little
> more than a vegetable shows a patent disregard of reality.    Why are
> you just looking at the outside an ignoring everything we know and
> can
> test?

What is empty and baseless is the assertion that Terri is brain dead,
in a coma, or a vegetable, all characterizations only of her husbands
lawyers and their hand picked and paid expert medical witnesses (who
will say whatever you want for the right fee).

There HAS BEEN NO TESTING of Terri's mental capacity. A fellow who has
the technology to test not only her mental capacity but whether she
wants to live or not is currently under legal consideration, and the
judge is ticked that nobody told him about this before.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com