[extropy-chat] Book: More Than Human

Jose Cordeiro jose_cordeiro at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 07:02:34 UTC 2005

Dear friends,

     Tonight Ramez Naam was live on the ImmInst chat. Just the night of Resurrection Sunday:-)

     The chat was very lively and Ramez explained the whole process of writing his book, for about two years (the writing, not the chat:-), including talks and visits to about 200 scientific research groups. Incredible!

     He also mentioned that he did not use the word "transhumanism" even once in the whole book. He feels that the TH word alienates people instead of attracting them to our ideas and goals. He also said that "The Singularity" is an even more dangerous term than TH. In a way, he is right, but we always need words to express our memes...

     For those of you in the Washington, DC, area, please try to see him in TAICON 2005. I am lucky enough to be there listening to him (and hopefully talking next year, but about TH:-)

http://www.arlingtoninstitute.org/TAICON2005/program.asp

     Finally, Ramez has agreed to have a personalized copy of the book, the original art cover and hopefully a work-in-progress manuscript for the first TH Auction that will be held in TransVision 2005. I ask other TH personalities reading this message to bring also special things for the TH Auction. Natasha, how about some of your beautiful TH art? James Hughes, how about an original manuscript from your book? And everybody else, think of other things to bring in order to make the TH Auction a fun night, with the Film Fest and everything:-)

     Don't just buy Ramez's book, read it... even though I will have to wait until I get my autographed copy in Washington...

     Transhumanistically yours,

     La vie est belle!

     Yosé

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <pgptag at gmail.com> wrote:
More Than Human is about our growing power to alter our minds, bodies,
and lifespans through technology - the power to redefine our species -
a power we can choose to fear, or to embrace.
More Than Human takes the reader into the labs where this is
happening to understand the science of human enhancement. It also
steps back to look at the big picture. How will these technologies
affect society? What will they do to the economy, to politics, and to
human identity? What social policies should we enact to regulate,
restrict, or encourage the use of these technologies?
Ultimately More Than Human concludes that we should embrace, rather
than fear, the power to alter ourselves - that in the hands of
millions of individuals and families, it stands to benefit society
more than to harm it.
http://www.morethanhuman.org/

La vie est belle!

Yosé (www.cordeiro.org)

Caracas, Venezuela, Americas, TerraNostra, Solar System, Milky Way, Multiverse