[extropy-chat] Deep-earth methane generation

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Tue May 3 18:38:15 UTC 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 5:33 PM, Hal Finney wrote:

> Bret K. writes:
>> The question for me began when I was very young - and although this
>> may
>> be flawed, it made for further inquiry: If dinosaurs got stuck in and
>> died in the LaBrea tar pits, then what dinosaurs died to make the tar
>> pits in the first place? It seemed like a chicken and egg scenario.
>
> The La Brea tar pits don't actually contain dinosaurs.

Of course not. Don't let my third grade speculations convince you
otherwise.

For the record, I stated that the thinking was flawed before your
correction, but that it was simply a vehicle to prompt further
investigation.

> As you probably know, that's not the conventional scientific
> explanation.
> My advice is to give more credence to the belief which is widely held
> by experts who have devoted their lives to the study of the field.

Out of anywhere I would not expect to get "shut down" so smoothly on
this list. I am surprised.