[extropy-chat] Deep-earth methane generation

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 19:47:29 UTC 2005

--- Bret Kulakovich <bret at bonfireproductions.com> wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2005, at 5:33 PM, Hal Finney wrote:
>
> > Bret K. writes:
> >> The question for me began when I was very young - and although
> this
> >> may
> >> be flawed, it made for further inquiry: If dinosaurs got stuck in
> and
> >> died in the LaBrea tar pits, then what dinosaurs died to make the
> tar
> >> pits in the first place? It seemed like a chicken and egg
> scenario.
> >
> > The La Brea tar pits don't actually contain dinosaurs.
>
> Of course not. Don't let my third grade speculations convince you
> otherwise.
>
> For the record, I stated that the thinking was flawed before your
> correction, but that it was simply a vehicle to prompt further
> investigation.

The real question to ask the critics of abiotic oil is: if oil ISN'T
abiotic in origin, then how did all the dino-oil wind up UNDER the deep
sea-floor (particularly the Gulf of Mexico, which is a pretty old
plate), which has NEVER been above sea level, and is basaltic crust,
not above any sedimentary layers at all? Continuing to claim that such
oil is biotic in origin requires that one believe in Creationism for it
to have wound up there from biotic sources.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com