[extropy-chat] Debate on Peak Oil

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Tue May 3 21:52:26 UTC 2005

Alfio Puglisi writes:
> Actually there is an effect: Europeans tend to drive much more efficient
> cars and drive less miles. Something that was immediately evident in Hal's
> post was that a 30 mpg car is seen so efficient that it must be a hybrid (!)

About that 30 mpg, I was remembering articles like this one, about one
customer's disappointment with hybrid mileage,
http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,63413,00.html?tw=wn_story_related :

: Honda's Civic Hybrid is rated by the EPA to get 47 miles per gallon in
: the city, and 48 mpg on the highway. After nearly 1,000 miles of mostly
: city driving, Blackshaw was getting 31.4 mpg.
:
: "I feel like a complete fraud driving around Cincinnati with a license
: plate that says MO MILES," says Blackshaw, who claims that after 4,000
: miles his car has never gotten more than 33 mpg on any trip. The tenor of
: Blackshaw's blog shifted from adulation to frustration after his Honda
: dealer confirmed that his car was functioning properly, and that there
: was nothing he could do.
:
: Blackshaw, who is chief customer satisfaction officer at Intelliseek.com,
: spoke to a Honda regional manager about his concerns, and wrote a letter
: to a Honda vice president on April 15 that was not answered. His story
: has been echoed dozens of times online by owners of the Honda Civic
: Hybrid and Toyota Prius.

But you're probably right, there may well be cars that can do better
than this without even using hybrid technology.  Perhaps going even
smaller than the Civic would allow for better mileage.

Hal

P.S. BTW it's my birthday tomorrow so I'm treating myself to a pair
of Powerisers, http://www.superdairyboy.com/poweriser.html.  Found 'em
on Ebay for a discount.  I'll supposedly be able to run 20 mph with 9
foot strides!  Bring on Peak Oil!