[extropy-chat] Moral relativism

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat May 7 16:23:49 UTC 2005

--- Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:
> ben wrote:
>
> > These discussions are getting a bit too much for me - too abstract,
>
> > too silly, too confused.
> >
> Yes, but we hope they lead to greater understanding.  Thank you for
> posing the question, which at the lowest level may appear to be a
> simple
> question of "right" and "wrong", while at the level of popular
> discourse
> it may appear paradoxical as people ask themselves how they can
> possibly
> decide which is morally correct, and at a higher level it may be seen
>
> that the framing of the question is what limits our comprehension of
> these issues.
>
> > So what do the people here who call themselves moral relativists
> and
> > moral absolutists think that Frank and Sue should decide?
> >
> Since I am neither a moral relativist nor absolutist, I'll withhold
> further comment for now.

As a moral objectivist, I say the solution is clearly that Sue should
have the kid, and that Uncle Frank should adopt it and raise it while
Sue goes off to college. If Frank thinks life is so important, then he
needs to put his money where his mouth is. Choice "C" always works.

> - Jef
> http://www.jefallbright.net

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)