[extropy-chat] Tipler's report card

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Wed May 11 16:41:54 UTC 2005

John K Clark wrote:

> In his 1992 book Tipler made a number of predictions and I think it's
> time
> to look back at some of them because Tipler himself said that every
> one of
> his predictions must turn out to be correct or the entire  theory is
> dead.
>
> Tipler predicted that the universe is closed, but we now know it is
> almost
> certainly open.
>
> Tipler predicted that the Higgs boson must be at 220 +- 20 GeV. The
> particle
> has still not been found so it's still possible he's right but most think
> that value is too heavy and even a few are starting to wonder if the
> Higgs
> even exists. In looking around CERN's web page I found this educated
> guess:
> "The Higgs boson should be lighter than about 220 GeV, with a best fit at
> around 90 GeV."
>
> Tipler predicted that the temperature fluctuations of the
> cosmic  background  black body radiation must be less than
> 6*10^-5:  This prediction was good, the observed value is
> about  6*10^-6.
>
> Tipler predicted that the Hubble constant must be less than or
> equal to 45 km/sec/Mpc, but today the best accepted value is 72.

All of these predictions rely on the unlikely scenario (given the
hypothesis) that we are living in the real universe, near the beginning,
and not in one of the myriad simulations at the omega point. Tipler did
not take his logic far enough.

If Tipler is correct then the state of our visible universe is irrelevent.
The hypothesis renders itself untestable.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org