[extropy-chat] Tipler's report card

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed May 11 18:53:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 05:41:54PM +0100, Dirk Bruere wrote:

> All of these predictions rely on the unlikely scenario (given the

You cannot attach any probability to either branch. Occam's razor is against
the simulation branch.

> hypothesis) that we are living in the real universe, near the beginning,
> and not in one of the myriad simulations at the omega point. Tipler did
> not take his logic far enough.

Tipler is a deeply religious person, and that part of his theory isn't. It's
a religion. Even if his physics was correct (which it isn't), the properties
he ascribes to the Omega point are arbitrary (or, rather, the opposite).

http://www.middx.org.uk/gordo/ellis3.html is a pretty flawed critique, but it
has some valid points.

> If Tipler is correct then the state of our visible universe is irrelevent.
> The hypothesis renders itself untestable.

Why are so many transhumanists filled with the need to establish a yet
another belief system? This is actively damaging to the work we claim
we're trying to do.