[extropy-chat] Car of the (near) future

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 04:19:32 UTC 2005

--- Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:

> Hal -- haven't read Huber's piece yet, but it seems to me that the
> major changes he's talking about may not all happen with hybrids,
> but may require fuel cell vehicles that enable "drive-by-wire"
> systems. My review of a good article on this:
>
> Tomorrow's Cars, Today's Engines
> http://www.manyworlds.com/exploreCO.aspx?coid=CO7240217153151
>
> I like the idea of being able to customize the car body so much more
> easily and thoroughly. Of course the continuing trend toward
> increasing safety is pleasing from a superlongevist point of view.

Hyrbidizing is actually rather easy to do. Regenerative braking
hubmotors up to 5 kw are available on the market right now. With some
rewiring and programming the engine computer, plus maybe an ignition
control computer system that turns the gas and brake pedals into
electrical sensors, and 3-4 metal hydride batteries inthe trunk, it
should be possible to make a fully functional Saturn Custom Hybrid. I
get back to NH, I'm going to have two Saturn SL's available to
experiment with turning them into hybrid cars (any northeastern
extropians want to help out?). I expect a milage boost from 35 mpg to
at least 50, between regen savings plus generator efficiencies. They
will also be faster off the block, so pimping them up as 'XXX' style
street cars may be likely.

Now, should I put an airbag in the steering wheel or a computer screen?

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com