[extropy-chat] Original Sin was Bioethics Essay

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue May 24 16:07:27 UTC 2005

Lifespan Pharma Inc. wrote:

> The Avantguardian wrote:
>
>>--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

>>>It is not holy writ
>>>or directly

>>>that and now you

>>Actually it WAS holy writ that knowledge was the
>>Original Sin that got us kicked out of Eden.
>>

> We already have radical greens espousing the end of civilization and
> "back to nature".
> Of course they use the internet to organize and communicate their "ism".
> http://www.greenanarchy.org  is one I check out every year or 2.
>
> However there is perhaps room for some combination of fundamentalists
> of various religeons reacting to AI, Total Information Awareness ,
> human bioengineering
> that endangers the fundamentals of older "theisms" to form a new
> Anti-Technology Theism.   Of course this would accomplish one good thing
> that is uniting diverse religeons  into one theism instead of always
> fighting each other
> over who is more "right with god".
>
> Perhaps the religeous Armageddon and Christ and Anti-christ might be
> portrayed by theisits
> as development of a religeous "god's AI"  set out to destroy all other
> Heathen AI's.????

So far AI has avoided major political-religious complications, probably
because it does not exist in a form that challenges overall Human
supremacy. Of course, by the time such an AI does exist it will be too
late for anyone to do anything. Hence IMO its a non-issue as far as we
are concerned.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-